Office of Inspector General Corporation for National & Community Service
Strategic Plan (2016 - 2021)
To promote excellence, accountability, and integrity in the programs, operations and management of the Corporation for National & Community Service (CNCS).
The Office of Inspector General (CNCS-OIG) will be a trusted contributor to the value, efficiency and integrity of CNCS programs and operations. The CNCS-OIG, through its reviews, evaluations, audits and investigations, will offer a fair and accurate assessment of agency programs and operations, and will recommend innovative and constructive improvements where needed.
Our authority is statutory and comes from the Inspector General Act of 1978, as amended, and the Inspector General Reform Act of 2008, which directs Inspectors General to –
- Conduct and supervise independent and objective audits and investigations relating to agency programs and operations.
- Promote economy, effectiveness and efficiency within the agency.
- Prevent and detect fraud, waste and abuse in agency programs and operations.
- Review and make recommendations regarding existing and proposed programs and operations.
- Keep the agency head and the Congress fully and currently informed of problems in agency programs and operations.
We value people –
We give respect to and earn respect from everyone we encounter in our work. We treat our fellow OIG employees as equal partners and full contributors to CNCS-OIG’s mission, vision and goals.
We value honesty, integrity, accountability and transparency –
Honesty and integrity are our core fundamentals. We will be accountable for our actions and place emphasis on open communications. We work as a seamless team to produce and deliver results that drive positive change.
We place value on making a true difference in the work we do –
The CNCS-OIG is committed to constantly improving how we operate--embracing innovation and using determination and persistence to achieve results that provide real value to CNCS and all of their stakeholders.
The primary organizations of the CNCS-OIG are the Audit, Investigative, and Support sections.
- Goal 1: Reduce program vulnerabilities, strengthen program integrity and CNCS’ efforts to efficiently manage its programs and implement effective internal controls. We will do this by providing timely and independent information to the agency’s Board of Directors, Chief Executive Officer, senior management, and Congress regarding the effectiveness and efficiency of agency programs and operations.
- Goal 2: Look ahead, anticipate change, stay flexible and be prepared to meet new challenges.
- Goal 3: Make public the results of our reviews, to the extent allowable by law and privacy considerations.
STRATEGIES and PERFORMANCE
For goal 1, the CNCS-OIG will:
- Continuously monitor and assess risk in CNCS programs and operations to identify those that impact the agency’s ability to accomplish its mission in an efficient, economical and transparent manner.
- Identify resources needed to address those critical risks.
- Conduct audits, evaluations and investigations as necessary to identify inefficiencies, prevent and detect fraud, waste and abuse within the CNCS and agency programs.
OIG will measure its performance by:
- Performing quality audits, evaluations and investigations and provide the results of these in a timely manner that reflect an accurate and independent review.
- Measuring the success of these audits, evaluations and investigations by identifying agency management action or other outside action that resulted in positive change, reduced risk, cost savings, compliance, or greater efficiency.
- Quantifying the number of audits, evaluations and investigations delivered within the time frames agreed to with stakeholders.
- Quantifying the number of completed audits, evaluations and investigations where the agency took action based on CNCS-OIG recommendations.
For goal 2, the CNCS-OIG will:
- Hire, train, develop, motivate, and effectively lead a diverse workforce with the technical, managerial and leadership skills to meet CNCS-OIG’s goals.
- Acquire and deploy technology, equipment, and other physical resources necessary to maximize CNCS-OIG effectiveness while reducing costs.
CNCS-OIG will measure its performance by:
- Assessing the quality of CNCS-OIG audits, evaluations, investigations through external peer reviews.
- Evaluating and measure the quality of CNCS-OIG audits, investigations and support through stakeholder feedback.
For Goal 3, the CNCS-OIG will:
- Operate a publicly accessible OIG website.
- Keep the website current with postings of our audits, evaluations and reviews.
- Communicate CNCS-OIG matters of importance to agency employees and grantees, through our website, e-mail and social media outlets.
CNCS-OIG will measure its performance by:
- Ensuring that all official CNCS-OIG reports will be posted within the time period specified in the Inspector General Reform Act of 2008.
- Increasing the distribution of our reports via electronic media.
- Determining the relationship between our website postings, social media posts or Fraud Awareness Briefings and the reporting of matters through our Hotline.
202-606-9390 « Hotline: 800-452-8210 « www.cncsoig.gov